1) We introduced the RIMQG's first Board of Directors:
Carole Ann Penney, President
Kathryn LeBlanc, Vice President
Tara Coogan, Treasurer
Jodi Meenan, Secretary
Coco LeClaire-Conway, Membership
Karen McCann and Sherri Noel, Communications Administrators
2) Tara did a free-motion quilting demonstration of some designs, ranging from basic stippling to dogwood flower. Here's some action shots of "wonky boxes":
2) There is a Free-Motion quilting challenge due in January. The parameters are to create a whole-cloth quilt (or table runner, wall hanging, etc.) and get creative with your free-motion quilting. Whole-cloth means the quilt will have no patchwork; we suggest using a solid fabric or a subtle print that will allow your quilting to be the star of the show. If you need some inspiration or have questions, take it to our Facebook page and get feedback from the group.
3) To prepare for the challenge due in January, we are practicing by bringing a 10x10 mini quilt sandwich to the December meeting (no binding necessary) with a free-motion design that gets you out of your comfort zone. Try something new! See the photos from the demonstration for reference. Our goal is to toss all of the mini's on the table at the next meeting and see what the group came up with. The mini's will be collected and we will make a booklet of sorts, from which we can refer to if we need quilting design inspiration. Bring as many as you'd like!
4) Here are some links to some our favorite FMQ guru's:
- Swim, Bike, Quilt
- Pile O' Fabric (this page has many links to resources, including beginner step-by-step instructions)
- 365 Days of FMQ - Leah Day
- How to modify your FMQ foot (if you experience too much ‘bouncing’ of the foot)
5) Here are photos of the November challenge, Design Your Own Quilt:
6) And last but not least; show and tell!
Thanks to everyone who made it out to the meeting!
Please keep an eye out for our newsletter with more details about the
membership forms that will be submitted before the end of the year.
Keep on quilting and see you next month!