Due to the Library's early closing time in July and August, we are not holding open sew; as our meetings will be from 11:00am - 1:00pm (Library closes at 1:00pm).
July's meeting will be held in our usual room in the Hayden Center; and August's will be an outdoor potluck on Library grounds (room is available for rain location).
Monthly Topic: Free Motion Quilting
Celeste gave a great talk on how she prepares for free-motion quilting. The use of the dry-erase board is genius! The biggest take-away was "know where you're going next" with your quilting pattern. We encourage you to try her dry-erase board method for experimenting with designs!
Tara gave a live demo with her machine and showed how your pedal speed and quilt movement speed change the length of stitches. Consistent speed is important; and start with something simple; like loops. Use the patchwork of your quilt to divide and conquer; if you have a lot of negative space, create your own grid with chalk or Herra marker to help you feel in control of the space.
Quilting Retreat Announcement!!!!!!!
YES! It's real! We are hosting another retreat!! See the details below and email us with questions.
- Date: (check-in) Friday, Sept. 18th through (check-out) Monday, Sept. 21st.
- Accommodation Type: Renting an entire home (airbnb.com) with plenty of open space for setting up tables to quilt.
- Cost: $150 per person; 3 night stay
- Distance: Under 3 hours drive from Providence (exact location TBD; house chosen will be dependent on how many members attend)
- Food: The group will coordinate and divide costs/responsibility appropriately as the retreat approaches and during that weekend.
- Deadline to reserve your spot: July 18th (cannot refund unless another person is willing to take your spot, since the count will determine the size house we rent)
- How do I pay?: Tara will have a PayPal card reader at the next guild meeting where she can take credit card payments. Other options include: mailing a check (email rimodernquiltguild.com for mailing address) or sending a paypal payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Show and Tell
Charity – Betsy Traveler Bag
Charity - Cotton + Steel mini challenge quilt
(shown early since she made it for a mini swap)
A beautiful patchwork quilt with Arizona-themed border fabric!
Jenn – Hand quilting all done on her in-progress quilt!
Tina – Stacked Squares quilt made for a friend for her daughter’s graduation
Denise – “First long-arm quilt” quilted on her new long-arm with lots of reds and yellows
Denise- One-Block Wonder (also called Stack & Whack) quilt
was the second project she quilted on her new machine
Suzanne – Hand printed birch tree design using the Gelli Plate technique
Suzanne- a four-patch squares quilt that she made from a kit and decided she likes doing her own thing much more!
Fred – Playing with FMQ: mini squares quilt with lots of negative space
Fred- FMQ practice quilt with quilting that reminds him of fireflies against a night sky
Pat – Gelli Plate printed fabric pieces
Pat - Bargello quilt
Kathy – Striking all-solids HST quilt top that’s ready for some FMQ
Our July Meeting will feature local sewing machine maintenance expert, Anthony Ferranti.
His contact info is:
11 Anna Sayles Rd.
Lincoln, RI 02865